Home    Fan Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Toy Lines  Hop To Forums  DCU Justice League Unlimited™    Who thinks the Young Justice toys will be bigger and last longer than JLU?
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 19
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who thinks the Young Justice toys will be bigger and last longer than JLU?
 Login/Join

Matty Member
posted
Who thinks the Young Justice toys will be bigger and last longer than JLU? And if you think of Batman the Animated Series toys is technically part of the line, that's over 16 years of collecting.

Results (55 votes counted so far):
Who thinks the Young Justice toys will be bigger and last longer than JLU?
(5%)
  The Young Justice toys will be bigger and better than Justice League Unlimited!
52 (95%)
  Nothing beats the Justice League Unlimited toys. JLU is the best toy line based on any cartoon ever.
See Poll Form

Posts: 180 | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
posted Hide Post
It's all going to depend on how the line is received and how strong collector support is after the series eventually ends. JLU was a very rare instance of a company continuing a line from a series no longer on the air because there was still a market to support it. I don't know if lightning will strike twice with YJ.

Posts: 2389 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of MoMoney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scott metzger:
It's all going to depend on how the line is received and how strong collector support is after the series eventually ends. JLU was a very rare instance of a company continuing a line from a series no longer on the air because there was still a market to support it. I don't know if lightning will strike twice with YJ.

This. The line hasn't even been released yet, and you want to talk about whether it will be more successful than JLU?

For what it's worth, JLU had six figures in its first two waves and a whopping three villains until the line went into Unlimited territory. Right out of the gate, Young Justice has fourteen figures in its first couple of waves, with four villains (if I'm counting correctly), so it's actually off to a far stronger start than JLU was.

Posts: 862 | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of PretenderNX01
posted Hide Post
JLU released tons of background characters. That would be hard for any line (except Star Wars) to even equal.

That said I think YJ is going to do well enough. I'm happy with it.

I remember the beginning of JL and how hard it was to get all of the first 7.
The line didn't really kick off, to me, until it went "Unlimited", those first 3packs were awesome.

-------------------------------------------
Tiger Rocket Cool Nerdy T-shirts

Posts: 567 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: February 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of Freddie:
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoMoney:
quote:

This. The line hasn't even been released yet, and you want to talk about whether it will be more successful than JLU?

For what it's worth, JLU had six figures in its first two waves and a whopping three villains until the line went into Unlimited territory. Right out of the gate, Young Justice has fourteen figures in its first couple of waves, with four villains (if I'm counting correctly), so it's actually off to a far stronger start than JLU was.

Hopefully they learned something with JLU. I don't want them to go to a buck system for this line but whatever its going to take to produce as many characters as possible. They just have to be careful with characters like Cheshire. Sure iwant obscure characters but by the time these are released she may not even appear on the show again. It will be interesting to see what they can do!

Posts: 2052 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: February 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of The Joker's Last Laugh
posted Hide Post
I don't think it will do well for two reasons, though character selection is appealing, Bruce Timm designs marked a pivotal point in the world of animation. Any collector of JLU was intrinsically fond of Bruce Timm as a Producer, Director but most importantly an Animator. Young Justice offers nothing original. It seems to me a poor attempt of Japanese cartoon series. Some characters are cool interpretations, but others I've come to hate and the series has not even taken off. I already dislike Blockbuster, Red Tornado, Green Arrow, Mammoth, Bane, Abrakadabra, Brick, Blackspider, Sports Master, and some others I can't recall. So far, aside from the Young Justice team, Cheshire, Professor Ivo, Amazo and the Ras Al Ghul model shown at Toyfair, I'll be very selective with my purchases. I don't know if you guys feel the same way, but this seems like the Street Fighter cartoon meets DCU.

Second reason, let's not forget the company we're dealing with is Mattel. Right of the bat, I see we'll have 20 Robins, 30 Aqualads, 40 Kid Flashes in order to get new figures. If I want a Batman and an Icicle, I'll have two Robins. If I want an Aquaman I'll have 2 Aquamen. You get where I'm going with this?

I still maintain dropping the JLU (before finding out if Young Justice was a viable substitute) was a HUGE mistake. They really dropped the ball by not viewing a little loss as a new investment.

"Be a clown; be a clown. All the world loves a clown"

Posts: 277 | Registered: February 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of The Joker's Last Laugh
posted Hide Post
Furthermore, lighting rarely strikes the same house twice.

"Be a clown; be a clown. All the world loves a clown"

Posts: 277 | Registered: February 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of whakojacko1976
posted Hide Post
...And it might depend on when Mattel's DC license ends.

Posts: 118 | Registered: February 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of Emerald
posted Hide Post
To answer the question -- highly doubtful.
Part of why Timm's style lasted so long was because it stretched across more than just one show. While the shows changed, his style kept going for years. And I still believe the only thing that kept Mattel from axing it long ago was how cheap they are to make compared to other toy lines.
JLU's final, official, demise is bittersweet really. Of all the lines I've collected over the years it was by far the most irritating. In a way, it's kind of a relief. But to me, YJ is no substitute.

Posts: 263 | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
posted Hide Post
Agreed! I'm already seeing that Young Justice is not quite as smart of a show as JLU. You can only do the teen angst with superpowers for so long. So the toy line won't last long anyway.

And I really hate that the last straw was the darn Parademons and how people didn't buy multiple duplicates of them. BS! Doesn't Mattel think that by now, JLU fans are tired of duplicates? Army builder or otherwise. Our demand was for NEW characters. Not stock up more of the same thing.

Posts: 180 | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of Chase Variant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eboy333:
Agreed! I'm already seeing that Young Justice is not quite as smart of a show as JLU.

Which is a bit of an unfair comparison, because JLU wasn't that smart of a show until the Cadmus arc. Justice League was pretty by the numbers for the first season and a half. (Although I'd give credit to "The Savage Time.") I didn't really think it reached the height of awesome until "A Better World" in the second season, and it wasn't until the show became JLU in the third season that the storyarcs became sophisticated.

As far as Young Justice goes, as long as Greg Weisman is on the show, I'm expecting things to be building toward something. The Bruce Timm Animated Series is tops with me in terms of emotion and humor, but Gargoyles and Spectacular Spider-Man blow them away with regard to mythology building and interweaving plots.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Chase Variant,

im right your wrong [sic]

Posts: 4783 | Location: Cloud Cuckoo Palace | Registered: February 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of MoMoney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eboy333:
And I really hate that the last straw was the darn Parademons and how people didn't buy multiple duplicates of them. BS! Doesn't Mattel think that by now, JLU fans are tired of duplicates? Army builder or otherwise. Our demand was for NEW characters. Not stock up more of the same thing.

No, the final straw was how Kalibak - the figure who was supposed to sell out instantly, if you believed the speculation on here - languished.

The reason Scott kept harping on how "If you can't sell Parademons, how can you possibly make [so and so]," is because, as an army builder, the Parademons should have sold more units than Kalibak or most other characters. Some people on here bought ten Parademon packs, and that still wasn't enough to make it worth their while to go into production on the figures.

Oh, and you're probably right that Young Justice won't last as long as JLU. The only reason JLU lasted as long as it did was because of how cheap these figures were to make. It looks like they're putting a little more effort into this line so far, which means it costs a **** of a lot more to produce.

Matty Member
Picture of anti mattel man
posted Hide Post
will young justice last as long and even surpass justice league? BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA BWA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA NO! There will never ever ever be a action figure toy line that will be as great a legend with the exeption of kenner super powers line that will be as great as justice league. The Bruce Timm style of animation is light years better then the comic book modern age appearence of today's Jim lee's DC. The modern age design is horrible it's trash and it's liked and bought by a younger age of comic book fans that do not know the difrence between good comics and great comics. good comic book shows and great comic book shows
good action figure lines and great action figure lines. collecters who are in their early forties to early fifties know the difrence. collecters in their early twenties simply do not.

I will not rest untill volcana,doctor destiny,and firefly are released.

Posts: 165 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MoMoney: No, the final straw was how Kalibak - the figure who was supposed to sell out instantly, if you believed the speculation on here - languished.

But many will point out that it wasn't Kalibak, it was a two-pack with a Darkseid I don't recall anyone asking for. Truthfully, I don't know if Darkseid's bouncing baby boy would have sold out as a single any better, but one has to wonder this: the one single carded figure they made, Lobo, was the only JLU item that sold well. To determine the ultimate future of JLU on Matty, did they release a similar much demanded figure, Kalibak, as a similarly single carded figure, following the model of their one success? No, they released a multi-pack, the strategy that hadn't worked with any JLU Matty offering thus far.

Releasing Kalibak as a single would have basically laid the issue of JLU's failure on Matty to rest once and for all. This way, there will still always be some questions.

Back on topic, though, despite the problems of the final days, JLU is a successful model that I hope they continue to follow with the YJ line. The properties themselves have so much in common, it seems a no-brainer to do what worked so well a second time.

Posts: 2389 | Location: Florida | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Matty Member
Picture of MoMoney
posted Hide Post
quote:
But many will point out that it wasn't Kalibak, it was a two-pack with a Darkseid I don't recall anyone asking for. Truthfully, I don't know if Darkseid's bouncing baby boy would have sold out as a single any better, but one has to wonder this: the one single carded figure they made, Lobo, was the only JLU item that sold well. To determine the ultimate future of JLU on Matty, did they release a similar much demanded figure, Kalibak, as a similarly single carded figure, following the model of their one success? No, they released a multi-pack, the strategy that hadn't worked with any JLU Matty offering thus far.

And I will point out - as I keep doing to deaf ears - that it was a five dollar difference in price. Five bucks. Do you really think that it turned off that many people? That if Kalibak were offered by himself, he would have sold out within hours? I know that it's the one shred of hope that many cling to, but come on. It's not as if the addition of Darkseid broke the bank.